Should we display a message for both availability states?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Currently, we're only displaying indication when a username is taken.  Should we also display a message when the username is available?

I think this would be preferable.  When I'm using a registration form that implements this functionality, I like seeing an affirmative message replacing the validation error.  The validation error disappearing makes sense, but additional positive feedback from an "available" message would probably be more clear.

What do you think?
Sep 17, 2008 at 11:34 PM
Yes, that makes sense. From the sites where I've seen this type of control, it always tells you that your username is available right away. Again, we can provide this as a property that can be toggled on or off to fit in to what the site developer wants.
Developer
Sep 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM
What about when the user hasn't entered the minimum number of characters to fire an availability check? What should display then? It's not valid, it's not invalid, it's somewhere in between.

It would be kind of cool if the display let the user know how many more characters they had to enter before the check will fire. Something like, "3 more characters", "2 more ... almost there!", "1 more ... any character will do!" Ok, maybe not so cheesy.